The Washington State PTA has an awards and recognition program whose purpose is to build pride and participation in, and an awareness of Washington State PTA programs; to give recognition for outstanding efforts; and motivate units and councils to provide quality service for and involvement of their members. Every year we recognize those Somerset Superstars who go above and beyond.
Golden Acorn Award
The Golden Acorn is awarded to an individual who has given outstanding services to all children in our school community. This individual has not only donated time to volunteer in his/her child’s class, but whose service went above and beyond.
- 2012: Michael Ketchum, Sandrine Gupta
- 2011: Francine Wiest
- 2010: Judy Mercer
- 2009: Betsy Canyard, Ellen Schoonover
- 2008: Kristin DeAlteriis, Lael Paul
- 2007: Kathy Franzel, Natasha Nimmo
- 2006: Esther Duitch, Muriel Mittelstrass
Crystal Apple Award
The Crystal Apple is awarded to an individual who has demonstrated exceptional commitment to volunteerism which benefited all children attending Somerset Elementary.
- 2012: Tammy Alford, Sangeeta Gogri, Danielle Holmes, Stephanie Kristen, Verna Yee
- 2011: Colleen Allison, “A” Black, Mechelle Cheng, David Garber
- 2010: Donna Lee, Cathy Menon, Sue Ung
- 2009: Audrey Scallon. Libby Miller, Joelle Campbell, Karen Ruby
The Outstanding Educator is awarded to an individual who has gone beyond the normal expectations of his/her job to make the learning environment fun, beneficial, and challenging. An Outstanding Educator could be a teacher, assistant, custodian, bus driver, administrator, or a community member. The enthusiasm and diversity this educator brings to the classroom directly influences the success of his/her students.
- 2012: Anne Williamson
- 2011: Shana Bowen, Jennifer Seder
- 2010: Betty Hannaford, Stephanie Wright
- 2009: Homa Hassan
- 2008: Jean Lorch
Outstanding Advocate Award
The Outstanding Advocate is awarded to an individual whose continued and dedicated services to all children demonstrates the commitment to helping create strong policies relating to health, welfare, safety, and education of children and youth. An Outstanding Advocate could be a PTSA member, teacher, assistant, administrator, or community member.
Every year the PTSA honors the many unsung heroes at Somerset Elementary School. We particularly want to recognize those who work exceptionally hard and do above and beyond what is expected of them. Unsung heroes can be parents, teachers, administrators, staff (secretaries, clerks, aides, and custodians), students, and community volunteers.
- 2012: Danny Lau, Melissa Slater, Melissa Stephens, Dusty Udris, Yale Wang, Melinda Workman, and our 3 custodians Lee Felder, Salomon Gebremedhin, and Scott Stenslend